TAG also identified other documents likely exploiting the same vulnerability and with similar targeting, which may be part of the same campaign. Although this campaign mainly targets South Korea, the tactic of using current events to lure potential victims into downloading malware is common and individuals should always verify the source of a link or document.
Organizations should use the following preventative measures to protect themselves from an attack:
• Implement network segmentation.
• Install updates/patch operating systems, software, and firmware as soon as practical after they are released. Implement monitoring of security events on employee workstations and servers, with a 24/7 Security Operations Center to detect threats and respond quickly.
• Use multi-factor authentication where possible.
• Use strong passwords and regularly change passwords to network systems and accounts, implementing the shortest acceptable timeframe for password changes.
• Avoid reusing passwords for multiple accounts.
• Focus on cyber security awareness and training.
• Regularly provide users with training on information security principles and techniques as well as overall emerging cybersecurity risks and vulnerabilities.